Nothing says comfort more than crispy, chewy homemade bagels. Century Plaza’s Executive Chef Atticus Garant demonstrates how to make traditional boiled bagels, along with a quick and easy recipe for everybody’s favorite everything bagel seasoning! So, grab your cream cheese and get ready to upgrade your morning favorite with At Home with Atticus!
Everything Spice Seasoning:
- 1 tbsp. crispy garlic or garlic flakes
- 1 tbsp. crispy shallot or onion flakes
- 1 tbsp. white sesame seed
- 1 tbsp. black sesame seed
- 1 tbsp. poppy seed
- ½ tbsp. flaky salt (Jacobsen’s or Maldon)
- Combine all ingredients and mix well, store in a sealed container until ready to use.
- 4 oz. whole milk
- 27 oz. bread flour
- 1.25 oz. sugar
- 0.5 oz. dry active yeast
- 15.5 oz. water (90 F)
- 0.3 oz. salt
- 0.15 oz. diastatic malt powder (optional)
- Whisk sugar and yeast into water and allow to bloom for 10 minutes.
- Add all other dry ingredients to the Kitchen Aid bowl, mixing well.
- Once the liquid mixture has bloomed whisk again and slowly add to the Kitchen Aid bowl with the machine on slow.
- After all of the liquid has been added, use a spatula to scrape doen the sides and mix on medium/medium-low for 8 to 10 minutes.
- When dough ash formed and is smooth remove from the mixer and roll into a tight ball by folding sides underneath into itself.
- Place into a greased (oil or butter) lined bowl and covered with damp kitchen towel.
- Allow dough to proof on the counter until doubled in size. (1.5 to 2 hours)
- Knock down dough, remove from bowl and portion into 12 (3.5.-3.7 oz.) portions.
- Round each portion into a ball (no flour needed) and bench rest for 20 min. covering again with the damp towel.
- Using your index finger and thumb press a hole through the center of the dough ball and stretch evenly to produce bagel shape.
- Cook for 1 1/2 minutes on each side in a pot of simmering water, ensuring not to overcrowd the pot (bagels should have enough room to float).
- Remove from pot and place on a greased/parchment lined baking sheet, brush with egg wash and add any toppings you would like.
- Bake in a 430° oven for 20 minutes.
- Cool on an oven rack until room temperature.
Let’s get social
Follow us @fairmontcenturyplaza.